Convert LPG Litre to KG or KG to Litre Conversions
1 litre of LPG weighs 0.51kg. Conversely, 1kg of LPG has a volume of 1.96 litres.
Homeowners frequently want to know the conversion values for LPG.
For example: How many litres to a kg or how many kg to a litre?
Note that the values are not the same as water, as the specific gravity of LPG is less.
Different Units of Measure for Exchange vs Tanker Fill
When you purchase an exchange refill, you buy it by the kg, as in 45kg. However, tanker fill is supplied and priced by the litre.
Knowing the conversion values allows you to accurately compare prices between the two delivery options. You may find that you can save money on your LPG if you change delivery methods.
Also, remember that a gas bottle is full at 80%.
Gas Bottle Refill – 45kg Gas Bottle Refill Price
ALWAYS ASK THE 45kg GAS BOTTLE PRICE BEFORE ORDERING a gas bottle refill.
Don’t assume that the LPG price is the same as the last time.
Gas bottle refill suppliers change their prices as often as once a month and they don’t send out notice of these changes. So, you should always ask first.
LPG Conversion Value Chart
The following chart shows the conversion values for the common home LPG gas bottle sizes in Australia including litres, kg, MJ, kWh & m³.
Gas Units of Measure
- Weight of LPG is expressed in kilograms
- Weight of propane in the US is expressed in pounds
- Volume of liquid LPG is expressed in litres
- Volume of propane in the US is expressed in gallons
- Volume of gaseous LPG is expressed in cubic metres (m³)
- Volume of gaseous propane in the us is expressed in cubic feet (ft³)
- Energy content for LPG is expressed in megajoules (MJ)
- Energy content of propane in the US is expressed in BTU (British Thermal Units)
Common LPG Gas Unit Conversion Formulas
- Convert LPG litres to kg: 1 L = 0.51 kg of LPG
- Convert LPG kg to litres: 1 kg = 1.96 L of LPG
- Convert LPG litres to m³: 1 L = 0.27 m³ of LPG (this is an LPG liquid to LPG gas conversion)
- Convert LPG litres to MJ: 1 L = 25 MJ of energy from LPG
- Convert LPG kg to MJ: 1 kg = 49 MJ of energy from LPG
- Convert LPG litres to kWh: 1 L = 6.9 kWh of energy from LPG
- Convert LPG kg to kWh: 1 kg = 13.6 kWh of energy from LPG
- Convert LPG litres to BTU: 1 L = 23,700 BTU of energy from LPG
- Convert LPG kg to BTU: 1 kg = 46,452 BTU of energy from LPG
Here are two handy energy conversion formulas:
- Convert LPG MJ to kWh: 1 MJ = 0.278 kWh of energy from LPG
- Convert LPG kWh to MJ: 1 kWh = 3.6 MJ of energy from LPG
Propane Conversion Values with US Units
- Convert propane gallon to pound: 1 Gal = 4.23 lbs
- Convert propane pound to gallon: 1 lb = 0.24 Gallons
- Convert propane gallons to BTU: 1 Gal = 91,502 BTU
- Convert propane pounds to BTU: 1 lb = 21,594 BTU
- Convert Therms to BTU: 1 Therm = 100,067 BTU
MJ is Gas Input vs KW for Heat Output
Gas heaters are rated by gas input consumption and heat output.
MJ is actually MJ/hr which is the amount of energy, in gas, required by the heater or other appliance.
KW is the measurement of heat output.
Whilst 1kWh = 3.6 MJ, the heat output will be less because no gas appliance is 100% efficient.
For example, a 6 Star heater is 91% efficient whilst 5 Stars is 85% efficient.
ALWAYS ASK THE 45kg GAS BOTTLE PRICE BEFORE ORDERING a gas bottle refill
Questions, comments or feedback? Please email us at:
The information in this blog is retrieved from various resources and is believed to be correct when published. The information may not be error free nor applicable in all circumstances.